Hailey's Reviews > Year Zero

Year Zero by Rob  Reid

Aug 05, 12

First off- this book is not my usual fare. I rarely read Sci-Fi, but I picked this up after reading about it in Entertainment and thought the premise was intriguing. This book, if anything, is a whip-smart and cheeky reflection on our current society, and deals with fame, social networking, and music in a highly entertaining fashion. The pop-culture references were funny and made Nick feel very relateable as a hero. Sure, in a decade these quips might be outdated, but they are funny as hell right now.

Year Zero included some more complex scientific concepts (at least for my high-school knowledge), but Rob Reid, through the voice of Nick, managed to tackle these topics in a way that was easy to understand and actually interesting. Being new to sci-fi, this book opened my eye to the sheer possibility of things out there that are possible from a storytelling standpoint.

had created a universe that has a diverse cast of characters, and so many insane tangents within it. The story was a fairly easy read, and the witty commentary kept me coming back to read it whenever I had a free moment. the plot around the middle is a bit more crowded and muddled, but the last 50 pages are chock full of hairpin turns. Some of the moments in Earth were unbelievable- how Nick and Judy managed to convince people about alien conspiracy without much doubt.

Overall, Year Zero is hilarious, and I couldn't put it down. If you love absurdist social commentary in your narrative, you'll like Year Zero. Recommended.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Year Zero.