Max's Reviews > Sten

Sten by Chris Bunch

Aug 05, 2012

bookshelves: scifi-fantasy, audio-books
Read from August 06 to 10, 2012

****Having just finished the entire series, I wanted to come back and add a couple notes to the first book in case anyone was considering committing to the whole series (no spoilers, I promise).

The series is a fun ride through a unique scifi universe. Some circumstances are always a little too convenient, but overall, it's very enjoyable. If you like the first book, you'll like it all the way through.

Another note: If you have the opportunity to listen to any of these in audio book format, I highly recommend it. There are times when the reader can ruin an otherwise great book, but this is the exact opposite. Jerry Sciarrio reads the series, and he's the best reader that I've listened to. He does a great job a switching between characters, to include accents where applicable. Whereas Alex' brogue can be a little annoying and difficult to understand on paper, Sciarrio makes it fun and easier to comprehend. I read about half the books and listened to the others, and I actually enjoyed the audio versions better.****

*****Original Review*****
I picked this book up hoping that it would be a quick, entertaining read where I could just shut my mind off and enjoy the ride. It was certainly all of that, but I was actually a little surprised by how good it really was. There were a few parts that were a little lackluster and the plot became much too convenient at times, but all in all, it was an enjoyable read. It's always nice when you pick up a random book for a quick read and end up with an 8 book series of promise. I've already gotten the 2nd book, and I'll start reading it soon.

Sten is a young man born on a man-made planet to parents who were indentured servants. When they die in an "accident," he has to take their place on the assembly line. He accidentally comes across some important information that forces him to flee. The rest of the book depicts his struggles as he tries to move on.

For the most part, the characters have depth and meaning. The writing is also fairly smooth. It's certainly not on the level of sci-fi masterpieces like Ender's Game or Armor, but it's actually quite good. It was much better than I expected and a very pleasant surprise.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sten.