Courtney (Fuzzy.Coffee.Books)'s Reviews > Falling for Hamlet

Falling for Hamlet by Michelle Ray

Aug 16, 12

Read in August, 2012

What I Liked: 1) I was impressed at how true to the original play the story remained. Since I've read Hamlet more than a few times, I'm very familiar with the plot and I picked out a few noticeable changes, but all of them are what made Falling for Hamlet a unique idea. 2) I loved the incorporation of the old story into a new world with cell phones, iPods and Starbucks. It was inventive how parts of the story that I wasn't sure would translate well really did. Especially the final battle scene being played out on the lacrosse field. That was one of my favorite parts. 3) The biggest difference was the narration of the story. This was told from Ophelia's perspective, who dies in the original play. Or, kills herself. There is a neat twist added into this one that brought some different ideas to this modern version. 3) In Shakespeare's play, you never can tell really how old Hamlet is. He's purported to be anywhere between 16 and 30. I always thought he was a teen, though in Shakespeare's language it's hard to differentiate between teens and adults. He was assigned a definite age in this book, and it really makes you look at things in a different way.

What I Didn't Like: I had no complaints about Falling for Hamlet.

Overall Thoughts: Falling for Hamlet is a different type of story for me, kind of outside my normal genres, and it came at just the right time. The play Hamlet is of course a tragedy, but there was so much humor injected into this modernized version that you don't get as bogged down with the morose. I enjoyed it a lot and would tell people to not dismiss it just because it's a retelling of Hamlet. Give it a chance and I think most people will like it a lot!

See this and other reviews at Fuzzy.Coffee.Books!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Falling for Hamlet.