Cdelory's Reviews > Into the Beautiful North

Into the Beautiful North by Luis Alberto Urrea

U_50x66
Aug 05, 12

Read in July, 2012

I liked how this book turned the whole immigration tale on its ear, and the strength of the various characters, particularly Atomiko, a real superhero. The details of what they love about their village or home -- be it a dump even -- really make you understand their attachment and also lead you to ponder what is home and what makes it so.

My favorite scene is when Irma's former love is getting ready to see her for the first time -- the description of his clothes and the care he is taking reminded me of those nights in my twenties where I would try on multiple outfits deciding what to wear out for the evening, setting the stage with fabric and cologne.

I also loved how the bad guys got stomped on after going after the camp. It was refreshing to have that scene turned on end as well having read so many books where evil does its damage. And poor Tacho being taken for al-Qaeda was hilarious, though one can concede not for him.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Into the Beautiful North.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kate Z I so wish we had picked this one for book club. I tried to sell it 2x to no avail. This book made me so happy.