Jeanette's Reviews > Little Boy Lost

Little Boy Lost by Marghanita Laski

Jan 07, 09

bookshelves: persephone-virago, 2008, wwii
Read in December, 2008

I think I have a love hate relationship with this book. On the one hand I love the perspective you get from reading books that are contemporary to the time they are set in opposed to historical fiction written now about the time period (this was originally published in 1949.) On the other hand, I hated the main character Hilary Wainwright. He was such a selfish, distant and uncaring character that I found myself wanting to throw down the book a few times. I just could never get myself to feel the sympathy for him that, I think, the author was trying to create. The story of finding a lost child following WWII was an interesting and emotional read but I can't get over the desire to slap Wainwright and tell him to get over himself. If a good book is something that rises emotion in you, than this is a great book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little Boy Lost.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jeanette I would recommend it but would not give it a blanket recommendation. It was a very interesting story even if the main character annoyed me.
There are also some great quotable passages about books, reading and intellectuals that I found very interesting.

Hazel I just found your thoughful review, Jeanette. It's been a while since I read this, but my feeling was that Hilary was himself traumatised by the war, and perhaps blunted in his emotions and his ability to relate to others. I thought it was significant that he focused on the search for his son, despite being thus impaired.