Jennifer's Reviews > What Came from the Stars

What Came from the Stars by Gary D. Schmidt

Aug 07, 12

bookshelves: juvenile-fiction, tweener-lit
Read in August, 2012

This half sci-fi, half contemporary realistic story about a 6th grade boy named Tommy Pepper who finds an intergalactic necklace that holds all the art and knowledge of a far away civilization at war unfortunately didn't work for me. And I say unfortunately because up until now, I haven't met a Schmidt book I didn't like. But I have to admit to being flummoxed by the sci-fi chapters about the Valorians, which were written in an archaic style and employed a special vocabulary that was difficult to interpret even with the glossary. Still, the chapters that took place in Tommy's world were vintage Schmidt: perfectly rendered realistic portraits of children, their families, school and community that were moving and sweet. I will be interested in finding out if my reaction is due to my sludgy adult brain. It may be that my middle school students won't have the same difficulty dealing with the Valorian language as I did.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Came from the Stars.

message 1: by Todd (new)

Todd I'm so disappointed to read this as I was just about to buy this for our library! I love his other stuff as well-- Is it really not worth the shelf space?

Jennifer Oh, I'm totally buying it. I definitely have kids who will want to read it.

message 3: by Todd (new)

Todd ok-- good! now i can justify it!

message 4: by Roxanne Hsu (new) - added it

Roxanne Hsu Feldman This book is worthy of reading and recommending -- and perhaps for some kids, the deciphering of the odd words will be greatly appealing. I found it totally fun and I had no problem figuring out the meanings of the words in context. I think it's quite a feat!