Renee's Reviews > The Clockwork Three

The Clockwork Three by Matthew J. Kirby

Aug 05, 12

This book follows Giuseppe, a street musician, who is "employed" by his padrone and must bring in enough money through his playing each day, or else.. Frederick a talented apprentice clockmaker rescued from the brutal orphanage/fabric mill, and Hannah who has an invalid father and is working as a maid in a hotel to support her family. Each dreams of a better life. As the book continues their stories intertwine.

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this book. I was hooked after the first chapter. I loved the characters and the author's writing.
I loved the historical aspect of it too. Giuseppe's character was inspired by an actual person, and reminds us that there was a time when there was no such thing as childhood labor laws.

In some ways the book reminded me of Brian Selznick's, "The Invention of Hugo Cabret". While Cabret is an amazing book, largely because of the unique way it is told with pictures, the story in this book is MUCH better. I am surprised it is not more popular or well known than it is.

It would make a great read aloud.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Clockwork Three.