Kristen's Reviews > Just a Geek: Unflinchingly honest tales of the search for life, love, and fulfillment beyond the Starship Enterprise

Just a Geek by Wil Wheaton

Aug 08, 12

bookshelves: 2012, book-club, essays, sci-fi, non-fiction, star-trek
Read in August, 2012

I really like Wil's blog, and his writing style. I frequently laugh out loud when going over some of his stuff. He is also very engaging in person. At the Vegas Con 2007, I accidentally found him at his table in the vendors' room and it must have been during a few large panels or something, because there was hardly anyone in there. Wil spent probably 20 minutes talking to me about various authors we've read, ones he recommended (Kelly Link was one, during the magical realism part of the conversation) and was very gracious in taking a couple different pictures with me. I really, really like him as a person, from the little bit of time I got to spend chatting with him.

That said, this book, while still the same style of his that I like and have become accustomed to, was sort of whiny and self-indulgent. That's ok, we're all entitled to be that way on occasion. But it kind of struck me as more whiny rather than introspective. Wil said as much himself in the book, so I don't feel too bad writing it out here, but it's for that reason I can't give it 4 stars.

I would still recommend it for his fans, and I always recommend his blog, which fucking rules.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Just a Geek.