Spacklefritz's Reviews > Dark Protector

Dark Protector by Alexis Morgan

Aug 06, 12

bookshelves: adult, paranormal, romance
Read from August 05 to 06, 2012

2.5 rating because there were parts that were kind of interesting.

The Paladins are a group of warriors, able to regenerate, that fight against the Others that try to crossover into our world. Devlin is one such warrior. The only problem is, that each time he comes back from the dead, he (and Paladins on a whole) progressively loses more and more of his humanity.

Enter handler and doctor Laurel, with whom he shares an attraction, which causes some amount of conflict. Oh and there's a guy out to off Devlin.

The concept is interesting enough, and I started this book hoping to like it. I didn't have any great expectation, but I liking it would've been the preferred outcome. Instead I'm indifferent.

Why?

Those uber rawr warriors? The Paladin? I don't even know what they are. We don't know how they came about, we don't know how it is that they come into their powers. We don't know what separates them from the humans, other than you know, being able to come back from the dead. What makes them so special? How did they know they were Paladins?

And then there are the Others. Why are they the bad guys? Because that's all we really know. They're the bad guys and they contaminate the environment.

At this point I have to pause and go wth?!

If it was explained bit further than that, then I don't think I would have had that moment. Which basically brings me back to the point I made with the Paladins and the Others. It wasn't explained enough.

Then we go on to our romance, now mostly when I read a paranormal-romance, the ideal thing for me, would be for it to have equal parts of each, or hey, if the romance is there and there's just a tinge of the paranormal aspect, I'd still like it. I'd feel cheated, but nonetheless if the romance was well-written. I would still enjoy.

For Dark Protector, the romance is supposedly and in abundance. I say supposedly, because although we do get to proper read time on the main characters' relationship, it just doesn't do it for me. I wasn't able to connect with them or their romance at all. Moments when I should've been smiling I didn't. Instead I was looking at, okay when is this book going to finish.

I think like the world-building in this book, we were supposed to just take the relationship at face value. Nothing else was there.

That said, there are a good amount of readers who have enjoyed this book, so maybe you can also.
And I guess a counter-argument someone could use, in terms of the world-building is that, it's a part of a series, and maybe all will be revealed later on.

Okay, I can buy that, but there was so little here that I felt myself floundering about trying to figure out what on earth was going on, and not in the good way.

Also, I'm a person, who (I'd like to think) is not so harsh on my ratings of books. I can ignore a lot of things as long as I enjoy the book. However, with this book that was not so.

However I may read the second book sometime in the distant future, the author introduced some new things that did catch my eye. Besides some of her other works have a high enough rating, so it may just be this one.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Protector.

08/05/2012 "Honestly, the cover of this one, kinda turns me off, but the author has a book out that I want to read, so I'm checking out her earlier works"
08/05/2012 "*blushes* ehehe...everything's in working order Doc

*snickers*"
08/05/2012 "dun dun dun! A conspiracy is afoot."
08/05/2012 "so how exactly does sunshine taste?" 2 comments
08/06/2012 "meh...mostly I'm feeling indifferent about this book"