Ana's Reviews > Ciao

Ciao by Bethany Lopez

Aug 27, 2012

Read from August 05 to 06, 2012

If you’ve been to high school and experienced its ups and downs…managed to survive the highs and lows of first love…dealt with the giddiness of great friends and the disappointments of betrayal…then you’ll relate to this series of short stories just as I did. Ciao is the third book in the Stories about Melissa series and allows you once again to enter Melissa’s world and experience it with her. Written in a journal format, Melissa’s (or Missy’s) entries are typical to a young girl. That is, one entry will be filled with glee, the next full of confusion and sorrow. Ms. Lopez captures the emotions that so completely envelop Missy perfectly, putting you right back into those times in your life and allowing you to remember times where you were so enveloped by a situation that the rest of the world didn’t matter.

With each subsequent book, Missy must deal with increasing difficult situations and in this book she experiences something that I am thankful I have never had to experience…the loss of a friend. It is in this situation that we see how strong Missy truly is and how she’s changed from the girl she was in the first book. This event changes her and her outlook on life. And, even though this is a very short story, the author manages to not only convey the feelings that Missy has around this situation but also manages to fill us with certainty that she will be able to handle difficult situations throughout her life.

These books are quick reads that somehow manage to have substance to them in such short numbers of pages. They are more than just a fun read, they provide life lessons. And, even though the main character is in high school, this series can be enjoyed by everyone!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ciao.