Felicia's Reviews > Child of Fire

Child of Fire by Harry Connolly

Aug 05, 12

bookshelves: urban-paranormal
Read in August, 2012

NO ROMANCE YEAH!!! I took a left turn and went straight urban fantasy for this book and YES I really really really enjoyed it! Here's the tale of an ex-con sucked into guarding a sorceror who's part of a secret society to oppress bad magicians from popping up in the world abusing magic (the bad guys have very Lovecraftian overtones). The book is set in a creepy small town they're investigating where children are dying in horrible ways but everyone is magicked into not knowing. I have to say, the creepy parts of this book kept me REALLY glued to the page. It's a dark and gritty read that couldn't put down.

I LOVED the lead character's boss Annalise (who hates his guts and wants him to die) and how creepy she is and how she sustains her magic, how NOT interested in protecting innocent people she is (and she's a redhead, I totally wanted to play this character as I read her haha). Sad to have heard that the author wasn't renewed after the third book, but I'll read all three because I loved the world so much!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Child of Fire.

Comments (showing 1-11)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Jacob I loved these books so much. I flipped a table, a desk, a car, and a dirigible when I found out he wasn't going to be making any more (for the time being). There is a prequel though, so it's not just the three.

Felicia Yeah I gotta read the prequel. I CANT BELIEVE HES NOT MAKING MORE

Jacob After something like that, I can't really blame him. All those negative reviews would get to me too. But there will be a day when Ray Lilly rises from the proverbial grave, and it will be magnificent!

message 8: by Tyler (new)

Tyler Hey Ms. Day, you should leave him a comment on his facebook page to let him know how much you liked it, I'd bet he would appreciate it. Also +10 more points to your awesomeness for liking this series :)

message 7: by Jane (new)

Jane Higginson woot felicia went non romance!! hehe. This book sounds a fantastic read sounds kind of detective story with magic im in!

message 6: by Joe (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joe I really liked the series too and have enjoyed following the author on Twitter. He's seems like a pretty cool dude as well as a cool dad.

Mark Ray Lilly did pretty well in the 2012 Suvudu Cage Match. The author's cage match descriptions were as entertaining as his novels.

Stephen It really is sad that the series didn't get renewed. He really knocks it out of the park on the third book, CIRCLE OF ENEMIES.

But fortunately that's not stopping him. He's shopping around more books and he's got some fantastic short fiction, too.

Chelsea I found this book when I was looking for an urban fantasy that wasn't a direct Dresden carbon copy, and was very pleased! I am so bummed for him that he got dropped.

message 2: by Bill (new) - added it

Bill Felicia...or anybody else. After years of loving Constantine/Hellblazer, I wondered if there were some options to the theme in novel form. But I hate urban romance fantasy. But I did find a love the Felix Castor series. Any other recommendations when I want grit, noir, cities, crime with a bit of supernatural...but don't want the romance.

message 1: by Tyler (new)

Tyler Bill wrote: "Felicia...or anybody else. After years of loving Constantine/Hellblazer, I wondered if there were some options to the theme in novel form. But I hate urban romance fantasy. But I did find a love th..."

I couldn't agree more about leaving the romance out of Urban Fantasy.

I'm not sure of your exact tastes but here's some series to look into for yourself:

The Sandman Slim series by Richard Kadrey
Blood Oranges and Red Delicious by Caitlin R. Keirnan

I've only just started reading Blood Oranges, but the author writes some good Lovecraftian fiction under a different pen name. What I've read so far sounds pretty promising, the main character has a unique voice and is strong but flawed without being overly cliched.