Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)'s Reviews > Tales from a Gas-Lit Graveyard

Tales from a Gas-Lit Graveyard by Hugh Lamb

Oct 06, 10

bookshelves: anthology, classic-horror, oct-scare-fest-2010, owned-copy, gaslit-horror, victorian
Recommended for: Fans of classic/gothic horror, particularly Victorian period
Read from October 02 to 05, 2010, read count: 1

I am really thankful to anthologists like Hugh Lamb, who are so passionate and driven to unearth the works of authors who have largely been lost to modern readers; those whose works have fallen out of literary consciousness. In this anthology, he has given us seventeen stories that have rarely been anthologized, if at all. I must say that I enjoyed pretty much all of them.

My favorites in this collection:

The Haunted Station by Hume Nesbit
Nut Bush Farm by Mrs. JH Riddell
The Fever Queen by K & H Prichard
The Permanent Stiletto by W.C. Morrow
The Houseboat by Richard Marsh (my absolute favorite story here)
The Tyburn Ghost by The Countess of Munster
The Green Bottle by Bernard Capes

The only two stories I wasn't that fond of were The Mountain of Spirits and The Golden Bracelet. They were a bit too esoteric for my tastes.

I admit, when I read Victorian tales of terror, I like them to be a bit sensational, and sometimes, but not always, over-the-top. It's quite fun to read them. I am often quite surprised at how visceral the horror can be. I think that the Victorian storytellers were able to write stories that managed to have some pretty outrageous events, but without being vulgar about it. The writing is old-fashioned and quite appealing. Victorian language takes a roundabout approach to getting its point across. I've seen this as a good thing in some writings I've read, and in others, not so much. Generally, it was appealing in most of these stories. One thing I did wish is that the endings weren't quite so abrupt. That seems to be a common characteristic that I've noticed with Victorian tales of terror. This was a great collection to read in October, to get me in the mood for Halloween. Sadly, this anthology has only made me more passionate about reading these vintage horror stories. Fortunately, I have found a lot of really obscure gothic/classic horror free on Amazon Kindle. That's a good thing for my pocketbook.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tales from a Gas-Lit Graveyard.

10/04/2010 page 76
10/05/2010 page 152
68.0% 1 comment

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Susan (new)

Susan Sounds promising! Are these an easy read? What I mean is, sometime these old authors are quite wordy and descriptive which makes it hard to follow. Would you categorize these stories like that?

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) I think this was a pretty easy read, if you don't mind Victorian language. The stories that were the hardest to read were the two I didn't care for. I say give it a read, Susan!

message 3: by Susan (new)

Susan OK, I'm sold! Will look for the book either at the library, used book shop, PBS, etc.