Grey Liliy's Reviews > Fugitives

Fugitives by Alexander Gordon Smith

Aug 14, 12

bookshelves: adventure, bromance, dystopia, monster, sci-fi, young-adult, horror
Read from August 05 to 14, 2012

Standard recommendation: Read the other three first, and in order. This isn't a series that really works stand-alone.

Now, for thoughts on Book 4 of the Furnace Series:

I love you, Warden Cross.

Sorry, had to get that out of the way, first. He wormed his way into the absolute favorite character this time around, so I felt giving him a little extra love.

Fugitives continues the book series' slope upwards on the increased violence, body horror, and insanity that's been building since the first book. The monsters are bigger, the fights are more involved, and of course the plot's getting more complex--but not complicated. The majority of this particular book is a giant chase with occasional pit stops with the locals & our resident Furnace baddies. Aside from a small twist at the end for the book's "boss fight," this is mostly set up for the big finale coming in the next (and final) novel.

I enjoyed it, for the most part. Had some good development with our boys, and *gasp* we've got some girls joining the party. I had almost forgotten women existed thanks to three books in the all-male prison. The romp through the city got a tad bit tedious, as it was a good deal of the same, just with a slightly new spin that allows for the plot expansion.

As for character development, Simon and Zee are pretty much where they're going to stay (save for a little flirting on Zee's part with our new leading-lady team mate). Alex and Cross probably had the most development, both of which involved a spiraling downward and final crash into a breaking point. Cross, in particular, won me over as we got a good look inside of him with his true fears and insecurities. Alex, on the other hand, has a lot of redeeming to do in book 5 after his actions at the end of this one.

I look forward to when I can get my hands on the next book & the end of the story. Been a fun rush.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fugitives.

08/05/2012
34.0% "And we have out first leading lady. XD"
08/06/2012
54.0% "Oh, Alex. *pat pat*"
08/07/2012
70.0% "Heh. Alex is just having a day, isn't he?"
08/14/2012
100.0% "I love Warden Cross. *hugs him*"
show 2 hidden updates…