Staci's Reviews > A Light in the Storm: The Civil War Diary of Amelia Martin, Fenwick Island, Delaware, 1861

A Light in the Storm by Karen Hesse

Nov 23, 08

Read in January, 2002

If you or your child has never read a Dear America then I strongly urge you to give this book a try. Once you start reading these engaging historical diaries you will not stop until you've read them all. They're all based around true and historical facts/events, but the girl in the story of course is fictional. Written in diary form, they're very fast and fun to read. Most of them have more historical facts and information in the back and helps the student link to the past in a very engaging way. This story is all about keeping the light houses lit during the Civil War. A story that I never knew about until I picked up this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Light in the Storm.

JoAnn/QuAppelle These books sound wonderful. Will be checking them out for sure!

Back in the stone age, when I was a child, I read wonderful books by Alice Turner Curtis. Called "The Little Maid" series, each book told about a young girl in a different part of the country which was somehow involved with the American Revolution.

Some of the titles are A Little Maid of Massachusetts Colony, A LM of Old Connecticut, A LM of New England, A LM of Old Philadelphia, A LM of Maryland, A LM of Bunker Hill. ...and many more, about 25 in all. I found them so exciting and learned so much history from them. Many are based on true stories. She also wrote a shorter series about girls in the Civil War era, in various places, the Yankee Girl series.

Over the years, I have bought several of the old books, of which Laura now has "custody", but many have been reissued and can be purchased thru Amazon.

The full text of two of these books are actually online, one from each series:

Staci Thanks JoAnn!!
I truly love historical fiction. If you enjoy that genre, which it sounds like you do, then you should like these Dear America's. I'm certainly going to be reading the 2 books that you posted for me!! Thanks so much!! Hope you and your family had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

BTW...I miss your blog!

JoAnn/QuAppelle Why are you missing my blog? I update it about times a week.... Or is the link not working?

Staci The link must not be working!! I've even went to your daughter's blog and it won't take me anywhere!!! Help!!

JoAnn/QuAppelle Staci, someone else e-mailed me about this. I told her to try a different browser and voila! Problem solved. She was using Safari and used Camino instead. Try that and let me know if it works for you.

Staci Thanks JoAnn!
Tried it in Explorer and there it is!! I'm so excited to read about your trip to France!! We still have dial-up so it will take me a while to load all the photos!!

JoAnn/QuAppelle Was it Safari that would not allow you access to the blog?

Staci Firefox

JoAnn/QuAppelle Staci, have you ever read "Desiree" by Annemarie Selinko? It is my favorite historic fiction of all time, based on the true story of Desiree Clary, once engaged to Napoleon and eventually becoming the Queen of Sweden. My mother passed on her love of this book to me!

Staci thanks for that link! I've never heard of her but now I'm going to have to read this book!!