Judy's Reviews > A Lady Cyclist's Guide to Kashgar

A Lady Cyclist's Guide to Kashgar by Suzanne Joinson

Aug 05, 12

Read in August, 2012

I picked this book up from the stack from the library primarily because it's due back on Thursday thinking that I would read for 15 minutes or so. Best laid plans--I read this while I was cooking breakfast, I read it while eating breakfast, I read it in the garden, I read it all afternoon. I couldn't put it down. In her debut novel, Suzanne Joiner seamlessly weaves together two stories. In the first, set in 1923, three young English women find themselves under house arrest in Kashgar, Turkestan after being accused of murder. The three were missionaries, although to be fair, Evangeline English is accompanying her younger sister, Elizabeth, (riding a green BSA Lady Roadster) more for the adventure rather than out of concern for the saving of souls. Rounding out the trio is Millicent Frost who dominates Elizabeth and suspects that Evangeline is interested more in writing a book about their travels than proselytizing. The murder charge was the result of the three women trying to help a young girl they found lying by the side of the road giving birth. After her baby girl was born, the girl bled to death. In the second story, set in the present in London, Frieda Blakeman, befriends a young man from Yemen she discovers sleeping in the hallway outside of her apartment. Returning from a trip in the Middle East, Frieda also finds a letter informing her that she has been listed as next-of-kin to a recently deceased woman named Irene Guy. Frieda has never met anyone named Irene Guy and now she has a week to clean out Irene's apartment before the contents are sold for salvage. Slowly, by alternating how the two stories unfold, Joinson reveals the connections.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Lady Cyclist's Guide to Kashgar.