Andrea's Reviews > The Host

The Host by Stephenie Meyer

Dec 04, 13

bookshelves: audio-style, to-read

Mrs. Meyers and I can no longer be tortured friends. Maybe someday I can finish this poor excuse for a novel, but I'm going to relieve myself of the misery for now. The premise was fine, but the dysfunctional psychological processes of every single character has me truly sick. Not to mention that Melanie Stryder, (i mean, Bella Swan...) is essentially the same pathetic female character that we've seen in the Twilight series. I'm done.
I have been mystified by this writer because so very many people adore her, but I just don't get it. What is going on here? I've tried to understand it, tried to give it the benefit of my time, and all i get out of it is a surge in my blood pressure from pure undiluted frustration. It's tragic that a person so gifted with plot construction is singularly unable to portray gratifying or realistic characters with any thread of substance. Then again, I haven't finished the book - but right now, I can't see that happening.

Two days earlier:
...i'm struggling even to continue.

The day before:
On chapter 20-something of the audio version. So far, the writing is acceptable, the plot interesting. Still, there's an icky stickly something that still bothers me about the way Mrs. Meyers writes...the logic that all her characters utilize seems flawed in some fundamental way. But, I'm squirming much less than while listening to the Twilight series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Host.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by J.B. (new) - rated it 1 star

J.B. Fisher If you haven't finished it, don't. It's terrible and you arn't the only one that thinks so.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I would like to add that I thought the entire premise was ridiculous as it's a complete rip off of a K.A. Applegate's ANIMORPH series which I read in middle school...over 10 years ago. The 54+ book series for middle grade readers was in cirulation for about five years. It had several games for PC and console systems and had action figures and a T.V. show on Nickelodeon. The series was about a group of kids given the ability to morph into any animal just by touching it, they were given the gift by an alien species called the Andalites. The Andalites had been at war for years with another alien race called the Yeerks, A SPECIES OF SLUG-LIKE BEINGS THAT SLITHER INSIDE THE HUMAN EAR AND TAKE OVER THEIR HOST BODY, DISSALLOWING THEM ANY FREE WILL OF THEIR OWN. I find it positvely galling that some 10 years after the last book was published the slimiest, most ruthless and most sneaky villains in the universe were revamped by a hack-writer who crossed her fingers before writing that drivel and hoped that no one would remember. The Yeerks, no matter what you call them Steph, don't belong in a "romance" novel, they belong in the Animorph series when the idea was still original and not a complete rip off written by an author who brought us something different with each book...not the same thing which it "hmmm, now what else would be a romantically ironic pair". This isn't the 1950's or the 1960's and this isn't the Honeymooners and this ins't the Odd Couple. This is 2010 and you'rs ins't good or original fiction. You should be ashamed.

Zelda of Unapologetic Reviews I think Meyers is the kind of person who has some good plot ideas, but doesn't have the writing skills to actually write a book that is good. I don't get why so many people like her either. It's like she's trying to emulate good writers, but only ends up as a poor imitation.

Veronica ...to each his own.

Melissa I LOVED IT =)

Charlotte Dude. You think Melanie =/= Bella? Wtf? Melanie is NOTHING like Bella. Did you even read this book? -.- -N00bs-

Insanenwb If Melanie had read your comment she would hike across the desert to give you a kick to the face. Bella is a delicate pansy and Melanie resisted an alien consciousness from taking over her brain with sheer willpower!

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I loved it to, tottally awsome,can't wait for the next ones !!!!!!!

Nikki Well for me, I love it.

Claire Henson OMG did you actually read the book? do you have any kind of imagination?? There is alot of hate here, I love the Twilight Saga and I loved the Host more, it had me happy, sad, angry and I even shed a tear and I have only ever done that once before, whilest reading the Green Mile. She is an excellent story teller, Her characters are complex and interesting and so are the plots. Try reading a book without prejudice and take your Preconceived opinion elsewhere.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree with you Claire,I had those same feelings about the book, it's one of my Favorites : )

message 12: by Meg (new) - rated it 3 stars

Meg I will say that you can not compare two books by one author because they will ruin each other out. Twilight maybe over rated,however, it built rapport with many readers. The host is nothing like the twilight series. Two different ideas. The begining of the Host was a bit more dry reading than needed but you cannot put a book down and complain because the middle of a book is always the best!

Christina Lormejuste actually the book is'nt as bad as you put it. there are some parts that are irrelevant. the book is not my fav book if it ends the way i hope I'll give it 3 stars

message 14: by Kamry (new)

Kamry you people are so rude.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

If you hated it so much, good for you. But millions of people around the world love her books, so have you ever thought, before you criticize our book choices that you few people that 'hate' it are the ones that dont have a clue how to choose a book? Next time, when you hate a book that everyone else likes, think about that and dont comment and ruin the good mood of everyone who loved the novel.

message 16: by Cherie (new)

Cherie Seriously people? It's called a DIFFERENCE OF OPINION! Those of you that are calling him rude for stating that he thought the book sucked just shows that you're immature because you get offended by others opinions. Get over it, it's just a book.

message 17: by Cherie (new)

Cherie And Hannah not everybody likes this book and it's really stupid of you to say that if you don't then it's because you don't know how to choose a book. Grow up please.

message 18: by Zelda (new) - rated it 1 star

Zelda of Unapologetic Reviews It all sounds like Scientology to me, though that is funny coming from a Mormon.

Claire Henson I liked the book but then again I am not a fussy reader but people should not criticise the author like some have just because they don't like it, they should just say why they didn't like it and people who do shouldn't attack those who don't, it's freedom of speech at the end of the day!!!

message 20: by Evan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Evan Kennedy The guy ranting about Animorphs amuses me because he's obviously never seen Invasion of the Body Snatchers (or read Heinlein's The Puppet Masters, which is even older). There's practically no such thing as an original premise in science fiction anymore, dude. You just try to put your own spin on it, which is what Meyer did, *and* what Applegate did.

That said, Applegate is fantastic, and everyone should read Animorphs. xD

message 21: by Anya (new)

Anya Aston It doesn't have to be realistic. Not every book is realistic, Lord of the Rings, great book, and not realistic. There is a difference between fiction and non-fiction. So how about you pull your brain out of your ass and look them up.

message 22: by Otiliar (new)

Otiliar Even if the book isn't realistic, the characters should be, and having read Meyer's books, I can say that she is a master in creating one-dimensional, flat, boring, and unbelievable characters. Even if its fiction, there should be some sort of realism in it.

Adrienna dang the same thing happened to me

message 24: by Kira (last edited Jan 23, 2014 05:38PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kira Simion I disagree. You might dislike this story, but that is only or so your choice, or taste of the matter.

However putting the author down by saying she wrote a "poor excuse for a novel" is quite rude, or deteriorating in fact.

I am not saying you are not entitled to your opinion, no you are, but please refrain from saying such things.

We all have different tastes, I see that, but saying that isn't going to make it any better.