Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)'s Reviews > Claiming the Courtesan

Claiming the Courtesan by Anna Campbell

I must admit I am not a fan of the courtesan/prostitute heroine because I dislike the idea of a woman having to sell her body for survival. For that reason, I did not read this book right away, although I was very intrigued by the storyline of a hero who would do just about anything to keep his heroine. I read some scenes from it at the bookstore, trying to decide if I was "ready" to read it, and I couldn't stop thinking about story and how good the writing was. Finally, I decided I had to read it and I read it within a few days of buying it.

This book is one of the best historicals I have ever read. It was intense, it was well-written, it had believable characters who made real choices, good or bad. And at the heart I think it did have a really good love story. Not the sweet and light kind, but a love story all the same. I have championed this book and I have tried to explain why Kylemore isn't a bad man. He's not an emotionally healthy man. And he does some things that are not right, namely forcing Soraya to have sex with him after he kidnaps her, not to mention kidnapping her in the first place. I would never defend or excuse that behavior. But reading the book, you can understand what his motivations are. He is completely desperate at the thought of losing her. Yes, he's like a child who has a toy taken away from him, on one level. But I believe that he is motivated by a deep, obsessive love for her. I find myself very intrigued by obsessive heroes. I don't know why because that would be really scary in real life, but I do like it in romance novels. I love when the hero truly cannot exist without the heroine.

Kylemore somehow found his way into my heart. I did find him to be a sympathetic, albeit flawed hero. There were aspects about him that I did like, such as his devotion in his own way to Soraya. He waited for Soraya for years when she was with another protector. As far I as I recall, he didn't even take another lover in that time. When he had her as his mistress, he compartmentalized their time together, making it seem that it was not as important as it was. But deep down, I believe being with her was the highlight of his existence. Also, he was going to ask Soraya to marry him. Dukes did not marry their mistresses. It just wasn't done. They had their mistresses but married virgins or respectble widows, and the two aspects of their existences didn't meet. Yes he told himself it was to anger his mother, but I believe it was because he genuinely loved Soraya and wanted to make a life with her.

So, viewing his actions in light of the facts given, I do believe that his behavior was not completely rational. His kidnapping and captivity of her was done from a knee-jerk, emotional level that wasn't ruled by logic and negated right and wrong. Not excusable, but definitely actions I could understand in light of what motivated Kylemore. There was also an aspect of knowing that as a powerful duke, he shouldn't have to be told no or be denied anything he wanted. That is the part I didn't like.

The scenes where they struggle against each other physically, mentally, and emotionally were riveting, and I didn't even want to put the book down for a minute. I was drawn in and I knew I had rarely if ever read a romance novel with this degree of complexity of relationships. In some ways it was hard to watch how Kylemore scared Verity and wore her down. At some points I wondered if he would drive her to insanity. That was painful to read. She deserved better. I wanted to tell him, "If you're trying to get this woman to stay with you and love you, you're going about it the wrong way." But Kylemore was raised by a very evil woman, his mother. How would a man raised in that environment know how to give or receive love? You could not expect that of him, considering his background.

Truly Verity was the more emotionally stable and well-adjusted of this pair. I really liked how Ms. Campbell really plays with society's concepts of morality in both this book and in Tempt the Devil, having the courtesan be the more virtous and more respectable and laudable of the pair. And truly in my mind they are (in most cases).

Back in this time period, there was no such thing as equality between the sexes. Women were property and chattel. Women's choices were extremely limited. Men had the power and they had the choice to have sex with women according to their wishes and wants. Women had to submit in various ways, either as wife or mistress. I can see that this dynamic is played out in this novel. Verity had to become a courtesan out of survival, and she did it until she was financially secure. I found it repugnant that her first protector was an older man who made her an offer to become his mistress at the young age of fifteen, and he felt that that was the right way to save her from a harrowing situation. If he really wanted to help her, he could have placed her in a safe situation and helped her to get a living that wasn't prostitution, or at least waited until she was older. But he saw how incredibly beautiful she was and wanted her. Thus his motives were selfish and although Verity now had some protection, he sent her into the life of a demimondaine.

Verity/Soraya accepted her position as a courtesan and made the best of it, but it wasn't the life she wanted. When Kylemore made her an offer, it was business, pure and simple. She could not make the mistake of getting her heart involved. She didn't expect Kylemore to be emotionally involved either. When their two year contract was up, she had achieved the means for financial security. There was no reason to continue in that life. By leaving Kylemore, she could close her life on one chapter and start another. I want to reread this book to study again how the wall broke down and Verity was able to love Kylemore. I think that this part is probably one of the most important elements, because knowing that she accepts and loves him doesn't make what he did okay, but at least you can hope that they will have a hopeful future together and that there can be some emotional healing for both of them.

Words fail me to express why I loved this book so much.I just did. It's not for the faint of heart reader who wants a happy-go-lucky rakish hero who wouldn't ever consider harming a woman or doing anything she didn't consent to. But for a reader who is willing to put aside her list of what a hero does and doesn't do and read this book and evaluate Kylemore as an individual, I believe that this reader may find that there are untapped depths to this book that make it a fascinating and enjoyable read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Claiming the Courtesan.

05/25/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by new_user (new) - added it

new_user Excellent review, Danielle, and I definitely agree that it was refreshing to see more realistic origins for a heroine, for once. There was a man who helped her, but unlike in most romance novels where apparently everyone surrounding the heroine is made of cotton candy, altruistic goodness and just waiting for an opportunity to help her (wish I lived there), this man did it for his own reasons and was morally questionable. I could see that.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) Thanks, New_User. I think more women have faced trials and aren't protected in the way that Verity experienced, than you would think as far as literature and media try to portray. I think chivalry does exist, but not as much as they would lead you to believe.

Maureen Feeney Great review Dani,
Just finished it and have to say it has a feel of a book written in the 80s. Couldn't believe it is new(ish)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish This was just an excellent book! Danielle, thank you for such a thoughtful review, as always!

message 5: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) (last edited Jul 26, 2010 09:15AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) Thanks, Maureen and Dhestiny. It definitely has an old school feel.

Lady Jaye this was an excellent read. i wasn't expecting it to be, but it was :D

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) I was really surprised at how much I loved this book. I didn't think I would at all.

Sharyn A wonderful review. I too loved this book, for all the reasons you enumerate. I was sobbing at the end, for it took them so long to realize their love.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) Thanks, Sharyn! Sorry for the late reply!

Goge (BARRONS) le Moning Maniac, Why are you so BRILLIANT? I love your review. I, too, am hesitant to read courtesan heroine books.. but you're convincing.. I shall pick this up soon and fall in love with Kylemore. Your stand for him reminds me of my love for Heathcliff from Wuthering Heights. We know their actions are wrong, but we understand their motivation and background and them as an individual and we can't help but fall in love with them and stand up for them.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) Aww, you're so kind, Goge. Thanks for the complimentary words. I think you will likely adore Kylemore and appreciate this book. Let me know when you read it, because I want to know what you think.

Goge (BARRONS) le Moning Maniac, :))) Thank you for your compliment! The thing I loved so much from your review was how you perceived the story and then analyzed it so well and then wrote it out so clearly. That's a GIFT! I need to do better in that area,"practice makes perfect"! :) Yes, I think I will likely fall for Kylemore too and I will Def tell you how I think the book turned out when I read it!:)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) Please do let me know when you read it, Goge!

Natalie i agree with your review Danielle and especially the part you wrote about Kylemore's motivations. I too enjoyed reading this book and the complexity of their relationship. So many layers.
I had no problem with the Duke's choices, I could understand why he acted the way he did - a passionate, desperate attempt to keep a woman he loved and his newly found happiness in tact.
I also believe Verity loved him too. I felt this clearly from the beginning and the I feel Duke sensed it too, that there was something deeper for both of them though they never spoke it during her time as his courtesan! I feel that's part of what drove him to push so wildly and risk so much.

I particularly liked two other elements. Ms Campbell's correctness to the era and Kylemore's non-judgment and complete understanding of why Verity entered into life as a courtesan. Reading that part of the story warmed me inside.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) It was a really intense book, huh, Natalie? I just can't get Kylemore out of my head and it's been years since I read this!

message 16: by Treece (new) - added it

Treece This was a remarkable and emotional review. I enjoyed reading it very much. The characters from your review felt so realistic. I want to read this one now. I love reading intense and gripping stories like this. Great going!