Kate's Reviews > Inheritance

Inheritance by Lan Samantha Chang

Nov 23, 08

I did not go in expecting to like this book. I often find immigrant fiction maudlin and stifling in its disappointment with America or its overwhelming optimism toward American culture.

So I was very surprised to find myself so captivated by Chang’s story (non-autobiographical). She writes with clarity, detail and poignancy. She informs the reader of the political climate of China during the war and Communist revolution without being preachy and mostly without taking sides. She sets up no expectations for her reader that coming to America will solve any problems, let alone all of them. Her characters, however, feel that optimism to a certain extent.

Her prose is gorgeous. Her characters are beautifully developed . . . overall it’s just so mesmerizing that I’ve even sent it along to my sisters as something worth reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Inheritance.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Misty Broqi I just finished this book today. Chan does write very good it was an interesting read. Loved learning about the history of China as well as the family immigration to America.
And it was interesting I was looking through this city book and looked up Nanjing China and they mentioned that in 1937 the Japanese captured the city and inflicted a massacre that killed 300,000 Chinese they even termed it "the other Holocaust". I had no idea that ever happened.