Terri Tinkel's Reviews > The Far Side of the Sky

The Far Side of the Sky by Daniel Kalla

F_50x66
Aug 13, 12

bookshelves: family, history, marriage, children
Read from August 05 to 13, 2012

What an interesting and informative story. I knew about November 9, 1938 when Kristallnach occurred in Germany. The Nazi Germans came to remove all the Jews from Germany and Poland and Russia. But what I didn't know was that about 20,000 Jews managed to find their way to Shanghai, China. Shanghai had been an international city of many cultures for many years. But even there, the "immigrants or refugees" had to find their way to get along in the city. At about the same time, the Japanese Imperial Army had invaded China and had taken up a good part of Shanghai. The Japanese were not intolerant of the Jews but they did want to be in power. In this story, I learned so much about the history of China and about this period of time in our world when it seemed as if no one was ever safe. There is also a love story between friends and family and cultures that weaves it's way throughout the story line. I would recommend this novel to anyone who is interested in the not-so-distant history of our world and in learning the lessons of compassion, dignity, respect, love and sharing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Far Side of the Sky.