Becky's Reviews > The Doorbell Rang

The Doorbell Rang by Rex Stout

Aug 05, 2012

liked it
Read in August, 2012

As much as I love reading mysteries, I don't particularly like reviewing them. I don't really like knowing anything about a mystery before I pick it up myself. With one or two exceptions, for example, who is the author, who is the detective, and where is it set? In the case of The Doorbell Ring, this is what you should know: It stars Archie Goodwin and Nero Wolfe. Those two would make almost any book worth reading. I love them both so much. Of course, if you've never read one of Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe mysteries, you don't know what you're missing. And if you have, well, then you probably won't need me to persuade you to pick this one up. I love the banter between these two in all the mysteries--though some books are better than others.

In The Doorbell Rang, Wolfe and Goodwin are hired by a woman who is tired of the FBI following her. She read an unflattering (to them) book exposing the FBI and was rich enough to send hundreds (at least) of copies out to men of status or influence. She wants her life back, but can Wolfe really get the FBI to leave her alone? Why are they bothering her in the first place? What started this whole mess in the first place? It turns out there was a murder...very indirectly related it turns out...but solving it may be the key to it all.

This one has been adapted, and it was lovely!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Doorbell Rang.