Amanda's Reviews > Fifty Shades Trilogy

Fifty Shades Trilogy by E.L. James

Dec 20, 14

bookshelves: 2012
Read on August 05, 2012

Meh. It was entertaining, really funny at times (I did love the emails back and forth), and I'm not sitting here wishing I'd never picked up the books, but the whole thing was WAY too long for what it was. The sex scenes definitely got old for me, which is kind of a bad thing when you consider that the sex was what really seems to have recommended these books for most people. The story and characters were annoyingly immature - again, that's saying a lot coming from me, I read romance constantly for close to 20 years. About halfway through "Darker" I started occasionally skipping through the sex scenes, but by the end of "Freed" I was skipping them almost completely.

You can get essentially the same type of love story (exceptional-and-screwed-up-broody-male-bent-on-protecting-his-woman-who-turns-out-to-be-pretty-damn-capable-herself) and sex scenes with Julie Garwood's "Ransom" AND pick up some historical tidbits along the way, and if you like it, know that there are connecting books. If you're into a more modern setting go try Linda Howard, starting with "To Die For." If you'd rather swap the issues over to the woman, and don't mind a mildly futuristic setting, check out JD Robb (Nora Roberts) - there's a 20+ book series of it. Linda Howard tends to be a bit more graphic than any of the other writer's I've read, so if that's what floated your boat in Fifty Shades, I'd definitely recommend her for you (WARNING: if you have an infant or are more worried than a normal person about child abduction DO NOT read "Cry No More.")

This could be more of a review on where I am as a reader (and emotionally in my life) than of the books in particular, but this is what I took away from it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fifty Shades Trilogy.