emilie.❤'s Reviews > The Awakening

The Awakening by Marley Gibson

Oct 05, 14

Read in August, 2012

Could be much better, but could be a lot worse. I thought I really liked this book, but after reading some reviews on here, I have to agree with some of the less favorable ones.

Let's see...most of the characters weren't very likable. Kendall and Celia were okay for the most part, when Kendall wasn't blabbering about movies I've never heard of, her grandmother, and her own bizarre expletives and when Celia wasn't calling everything "phenomenal." I found Taylor annoying, especially when she randomly started talking in French (like a Weeaboo would in Japanese). I was reading this book out loud with a friend, and the parts when Taylor starts speaking French were awkward and silly. It seems to me the author was trying to make Taylor all cute and bubbly, but she unintentionally came out obnoxious. Dasani-Blue-Eyed Boy (aka: Jason) got on my nerves, how he acts like he hates Kendall's guts, but within a short amount of time, he suddenly half-believes her and has a steamy make out with her on a ghost hunting mission! (I'm dead serious.) The characters all seem to give off the impression that the author hasn't been around teens for a really long time, and was trying way too hard to learn their "language." She even went so far as to make them speak in IM lingo in real life, such as "BRB" and "what's the four-one-one?" No self-respecting teenager would talk like that. It makes you sound very simple-minded.

The story was interesting, though. While reading, it never really crossed my mind that Kendall was getting a hang of speaking with the spirits too quickly, but after reading critical reviews that point this out, I must say I agree. But I liked how the author knew exactly what she was talking about when it came to ghost hunting. She really knows her equipment!

(view spoiler)

Overall, this was an okay read. I might read the second one just for the sake of finding out if it gets any better and if the characters are less irritating, as that was a pretty big issue for me.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Awakening.