Caitlin's Reviews > Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail

Wild by Cheryl Strayed

Oct 25, 12

The beginning was a bit obnoxious when you learn just how ill-prepared she is at the start of the hike (which she purportedly had been planning for months). Not only does she fill her portable cooker with gasoline intended for automobiles, but she fails to pack her backpack until minutes before her hike is set to begin, leaving her frenzied with an overpacked backpack that weighs half of what she does. She can't even lift it off the ground without assistance of an inanimate object to give her leverage to pull it on. Alarmingly, she doesn't even think to lighten her load, though she can barely stand upright, until over 100 miles later when an Eagle Scout leader tells her to do so. She also neglects to learn how to use a compass until she's lost. What was she doing the night before setting out to hike? Shooting up heroin with a junkie. Her utter lack of common sense was alarming and I wondered if I should even continue. I wasn't looking forward to reading 300 pages about an idiot struggling with basic issues that could have easily been avoided. Nevertheless, after getting over that initial roadblock, the author seems to regain her brain cells and takes us on an amazing adventure that was so engaging that I read it all in one day. Great, fast read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wild.