Kevin Lanahan's Reviews > Even White Trash Zombies Get the Blues

Even White Trash Zombies Get the Blues by Diana Rowland

M_50x66
Aug 05, 12

bookshelves: chick-lit, fantasy, mystery, supernatural
Read in August, 2012

Read the other reviews for synopses. Here's my impressions:

1) This story is a great follow-up to the first novel. There is character growth, relationship growth and great action. Apparently, eating all those brains, in addition to keeping you alive, makes you smarter. Angel grows in confidence, as you would expect from anyone who survived a life-changing experience. She still has a lot of self-doubt, but sees that she has support from her coworkers and friends and carries on. She questions her relationship with Marcus but doesn't just dump him or do anything too stupid as she would have done in the past. And she knows how to use her zombie superpowers better.

2) Rowland adds to and explains the whole zombie situation really well. While it is sort of "True Blood" explanation, it makes sense and gives zombies a reason to exist in real life, sort of like the vampires in the Sookie Stackhouse series. I think the way the story ends offers an interesting peek into the traditional zombie story and definitely sets up book three.

3) I really hope there will only be three books in this series. As well-written as the stories are, I'd hate for them to turn into another franchise. Most series are good for three or four books, and then they stop being interesting, usually because the author runs out of ways for the characters to grow or plausible plots (I mean, how many weird murders can one town have before you run out of citizens?) I can see an epic zombie battle for the next book, but what do you do after that?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Even White Trash Zombies Get the Blues.