Benjamin Ethridge's Reviews > Westlake Soul

Westlake Soul by Rio Youers

Aug 28, 12

Read from August 05 to 28, 2012

Being a big fan of Trumbo's "Johnny Got His Gun," and having the chance to hear Rio Youers read the first few chapters of his latest novel, I was primed and ready to like WESTLAKE SOUL.

I ended up being wrong about that part. I didn't just like the novel, but LOVED it. What can I say that hasn't already been said by other readers? It's a masterpiece of elegant, emotional, funny prose that will captivate you from beginning to end. You don't just know the characters in this book, their DNA coils around your own-- you are these people, you are their hopes, dreams and flaws.

This is the kind of book that will be appreciated for a long time to come.

Critically, I can only suggest that Westlake's last battles and the dire outcome might have gone on longer than I preferred, but this isn't a flaw of technique or story-- I'm an impatient bastard sometimes and I'm prone to beat the table with knife and fork and holler, "Where's my resolution?" And I especially wanted one in this book because I knew, from all I'd read thus far, that Rio Youers would deliver one of the most moving endings I've ever had the pleasure to read.

I ended up being right about that part.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Westlake Soul.

08/20/2012 page 90