Rhiannon Ryder's Reviews > Freshman Year & Other Unnatural Disasters

Freshman Year & Other Unnatural Disasters by Meredith Zeitlin

Aug 05, 2012

I ate this great little read up in one sitting. It was fun, fresh, and although slightly boy obsessed, 100% about four girls learning to love themselves and each other at the point in their lives where that's the hardest thing to do.

This is where I segue into remembering having the exact same aspirations as Kelsey when I was 14 and about to embark on my high school adventure. I vividly remember how full of promise it all seemed, and like Kelsey, being totally disappointed by my decided lack of success off the bat. I did not meet an adorable boy who thought I was awesome, but I did have a great group of friends who helped me get through most of the embarrassment, and lack of romance.

What I loved the most about this story, besides its spunk, was how empowering it was. Kelsey makes mistakes, has embarrassing moments, fights with her besties, but she also discovers that she likes who she is- even without that magical high school transformation. Which, ironically, is the high school transformation we should all have been lucky enough to have. It left me in such a feel good place, I wanted to dance around and smile a lot.

But to backtrack for a minute, this book has a great spunky vibe. Kelsey is a bit of tornado, storming through high school on a single minded mission to achieve a level of high school legitimacy that always seems to evade her. But the comedy it stirs up is so enjoyable. Disastrous kissing sessions "Look, I don't think you're doing this right", musical auditions "I come in for my first note, but for some reason the guy's playing it, like, an entire octave up from where it belongs. I stick to the way I practiced it- nice and low.", and prom dates "Seriously? We've been here for fifteen minutes and my date has already been kicked out and possibly arrested? This is very bad. Am I in trouble by association? I've never even tried pot!", I was giggling all the way through.

Like Kristen Schaal (yah that's right, Mel from Flight of the Concords gave this book a quote, I told you it was good), I think I could have seriously used this book the summer before grade 9 to take the edge off. I wish I knew someone that age to pass my copy off to, but that would mean I wouldn't be able to read it again for a pick me up, so maybe it's for the best. However, I seriously recommend you share it with those in need- either of some high school advice or a good laugh.

Freshman Year and Other Unnatural Disasters comes out today, make sure to grab a copy, it's too much fun to pass up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Freshman Year & Other Unnatural Disasters.