Elaine's Reviews > A New Song

A New Song by Jan Karon

Mar 15, 09

Recommended to Elaine by: those who like a slow home town read; nothing stressful
Read in March, 2009

** spoiler alert ** I've read this in book form; this time it's on audio...I'm preferring audio in this series.

• 5th in “The Mitford Years” “Father Tim” series. Father Tim is now retired and so is his secretary, Emma.
• In this book, Father Tim and Cynthia are at Whitecap, away from Mitford. I much prefer their Mitford lives and friends. Father Tim is the interim pastor of St. John’s Church at Whitecap. He and Cynthia temporarily take in a 3-year old (Jonathan) whose father left for another woman and whose mother is in a psych ward for depression.
Back home in Mitford...
Andrew (of the antique store) and Coot Hendrick both run for mayor.
. Coot Hendrick claims that Edith Mallory's property is on a historical site - property that use to be in his family. She plans on building a huge addition to her home.
. Gene Bollick (Esther's husband) started counting things and is driving Esther batty.
• Dooley gets arrested for driving the getaway car during a break-in. He claims and Father Tim believes, he’s innocent and knew nothing of the break-in and that the young man he was with said he was going home to get some stuff (clothes or something).
. Pauline Barlow and Buck Leper want to get married and want Father Tim to officiate.
. Puny Bradshaw discovers that the statue Father Tim was gifted from Miss Sadie, is missing from the yellow house in Mitford.
. The woman (Helene Pringle) who is renting Father Tim's house is up to something.
At Whitecap...
. We meet Roanoke; Ernie and Mona Fulcher who share a building but not a store; Sam and his wife; Junior Bryson who is looking for a woman; Otis and his wife; Morris Love - Father Tim and Cynthia's next door reclusive neighbor who suffers from Tourette's.
. A big island storm causes much destruction putting the Cavanaugh's plans on hold.
• How can Father Tim pastor those at his new location and manage things at home in Mitford when he’s 600 miles away?
• So, okay it’s not Jan Karon’s best and I can’t wait for Father Tim and Cynthia to get back to Mitford where even I miss them!

This installment certainly moves along at a faster clip in audio and I appreciate it more in this form of media.
2 stars for hard copy format; 3 stars for audio.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A New Song.

11/25/2008 page 192