Marco Cultrera's Reviews > 1Q84

1Q84 by Haruki Murakami

Apr 13, 13

Read in August, 2012

Oh boy...
This book has some very interesting stretches, even magical at times. The author brought me in some unexpected places, making me appreciate how even small and generally unassuming events can become gut wrenching in the right context. But, and it's a big but, it's just too repetitive.

I do realize the differences in culture and language, being this a Japanese author, but the characters fixated on the same things and mused over the same dilemmas over and over again. I had a full understanding of their obsessions after I read about them five times, I didn't need the author to tell me ten more. The book is 900 pages long, and it could have been easily cut down to 500-600 pages, keeping the same magic and narrative strength, and making the reading experience much more enjoyable.

Also, the handling of the timeline of the different characters is the clunkiest I have ever read, with the author out of the blue, talking directly to the reader, to explain the sequence of events.

It took me out of the story completely, and the more surprising thing is that it wasn't really necessary. A more careful handling of the placement of the chapters would have worked as well, without disrupting the narrative. Very bizarre, especially from such an accomplished author as Murakami.

I will look for more books by Murakami, as his vision is definitively worth it, I just hope the heavy prose doesn't hinder his previous works as this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 1Q84.