Kris's Reviews > The Amber Spyglass

The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman

201882
Nov 23, 2008

it was ok

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Amber Spyglass.

Leslie Wolfhard But whyyy??

I adored this book. Honestly, I cried through much of it, the descent into the underworld, especially. Really beautiful, I think.

DEFEND YOUR STAR RATING.

Kris Hmm. I think by this point, I felt that Pullman had brought out his hammer. I enjoyed the second one more, because I started liking the characters. But through much of this one, I felt the writing was subsumed by his message, and even if I agree with lots of it, I didn't feel it made for a good book.

Leslie Wolfhard Hmm. I guess I carry enough anti-Christianity rage that the message made me like it more. I wonder what a kid thinks when reading it, though.

Kris Oh certainly the message made me like it more. I'm delighted to read anti-religious fantasy. But my rating was based on whether I think it's a good book, and I don't think it's good writing to let the message overtake the rest--I don't think it delivers the message well when it does that, either. But it would be interesting to see how a kid thinks--I know I didn't "get" the Christian aspects of Lewis when I was 8.