Meghan's Reviews > Witches Abroad

Witches Abroad by Terry Pratchett

Aug 05, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, all-time-favorites, silly
Read in January, 2012

First, I have to confess I am listening to these out of order. I've already heard The Wee Free Men (Discworld, #30) and the other Tiffany Aching books(run out and get them, now!). I also heard The Color of Magic but it was so-so ish. I thought I'd skip to the witch books, but after listening to the sample I concluded I'd rather listen to a six-year old, learning phonics, painfully struggle to read it aloud than hear that woman read so much as a page.

So I skipped ahead.. to this one.

The true test of how much I love any book is this: as soon as I read/listen to the last word, do I immediately turn back to the beginning for a re-do? And this one.. I could listen to it again and again.

There is much more adult humor in here than in the Tiffany Aching books-and it had me cracking up.

"Acting like a hussy." said Granny disapprovingly.
Nanny gave her an odd look. "Not really," she said. "Anyway, a bit of hussy-ing never did anyone any harm..."

Just freakin' hilarious.

Terry Pratchett's writing is first rate, the story is clever and interesting, the Narrator (Nigel Planer) is very nearly perfect. Although Tiffany Aching is my favorite so far, I love the silly take on fairytales and how they play out in this book.

As a side note- I adore these books on audio. I almost can't imagine trying to read them in print.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Witches Abroad.