F.J. Hansen's Reviews > Nor Crystal Tears

Nor Crystal Tears by Alan Dean Foster

Aug 05, 12

bookshelves: science-fiction
I own a copy

My introduction to Alan Dean Foster's Commonwealth Universe.

I picked this book up from the giveaway pile at my high school library about 10 years ago, though it wasn't until a few years later that I got around to reading it. When I picked it up, the kid who had picked it up before me dismissed it and said something negative about it (even though he hadn't read it). When I finally read it, I was SO glad I ignored him. I was intrigued by Michael Whelan's cover art--a Human and an insect (two completely different creatures) looking into one another's eyes and touching hands.

Foster's story turned out to be just as engaging as the art work. It was a brilliant and unique idea to write about the first contact between Humans and Thranx from the Thranx's point of view. Experiencing Ryo's world and society and encountering weird fleshy aliens with single-lensed eyes, spongy skin, and half as many limbs through his compound eyes.

I think it also gave me a greater interest in insects and insectoid aliens.

Not many books or even movies quite like it. Definitely recommended to anyone interested in first contact stories and real alien aliens (and insects can be quite alien).
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nor Crystal Tears.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cole (new)

Cole I read Pip and Flinx Adventures, I was thinking I should read these to?

message 2: by Curtis (new) - added it

Curtis Schmalenberger @Cole - absolutely! This book describes human/thranx first contact and is in and of itself a masterpiece.