Elaine's Reviews > Communion Town

Communion Town by Sam Thompson

Aug 05, 2012

bookshelves: read-2012
Read from September 15 to 16, 2012

My life was on hold the second I picked this book up. What a mightily impressive debut. A series of ten short stories all set in one fictionalised, timeless city. While there are some shared threads between the stories, they are tenuous to say the least.

As with all short story collections, the quality varies. The first couple are outstanding and 'The Song of Serelight Fair' (the second story), is particularly haunting and completely hypnotic.

The two weakest stories in my opinion are pastiches of classic pulp fiction and a Sherlock Holmes style whodunit. These are both very cleverly written but (like Ben Dutton says in his excellent review) after a few pages it started to wane for me.

What I took most from Communion Town was a great hope for the future work from Sam Thompson. Clearly a very gifted writer and I for one can’t wait to see what’s next.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Communion Town.

Quotes Elaine Liked

Sam Thompson
“The interval of two notes could divide your heart and the tug of words against rhythm could mend it: I'd stumbled on the means to say whatever was true in this life. I only wanted the skill to do it.”
Sam Thompson, Communion Town

09/15/2012 "Booker prize longlisted (didn't get short listed). Sounds very interesting."
09/16/2012 page 143
51.0% "Can not stop reading this. I have things to do but it's all on hold for this book."
show 1 hidden update…