Meghan's Reviews > We Learn Nothing

We Learn Nothing by Tim Kreider

Aug 11, 12

bookshelves: essays, memoir
Read in August, 2012

3.5. A man in his forties, a political cartoonist who lives in New York and has never married, tells stories about his friends and his life. The writing in this is equal to the best of David Sedaris, although his style is a little more verbose, a little less punchline. But I didn't care for the cartoons at the end of each chapter or his newspaper editorial page drawing style.

I loved the essay about getting stabbed, the essay about losing touch with his Peak Oil obsessive friend, as well as his essay about twenty years of friendship with a character named Skelly, a compulsive liar and a lot of fun. The author is both observant and intelligent, and is good at wringing meaning from a life that seems to have been lived in bars, with the same group of friends for decades. And this:

The Soul Toupee is that thing about ourselves we are most deeply embarrassed by and like to think we have cunningly concealed from the world, but which is, in fact, pitifully obvious to everybody who knows us.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We Learn Nothing.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Raina (new)

Raina That quote is killer. Also, you tease by mentioning an essay about "getting stabbed." ;)