Satyrblade's Reviews > Our Band Could Be Your Life: Scenes from the American Indie Underground, 1981-1991

Our Band Could Be Your Life by Michael Azerrad

Aug 04, 12

bookshelves: art, cultural-history, music, subcultures

Long but marvelous overview of America's DIY rock underground between 1981 and 1991, as seen through the ups and downs of some of the scene's most noted bands: Black Flag, Sonic Youth, the Butthole Surfers, Big Black, the Replacements and so on. Eminently readable, and lots of melancholy fun. The Butthole Surfers chapter is uproariously funny if you've got a sick sense of humor, and every entry is engrossing and informative.

Personally, I wish Azerrad had included a chapter on the Dead Kennedys - a touchstone for the scene as a whole, and a band mentioned at least in almost every chapter. Also, certain facts are restated throughout the book - an understandable element given the book's 520-page length. Overall, I give the book strong recommendations, especially for people who've been wondering why rock hasn't had the same bite since that era.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Our Band Could Be Your Life.