Shane Moore's Reviews > This Is How: Proven Aid in Overcoming Shyness, Molestation, Fatness, Spinsterhood, Grief, Disease, Lushery, Decrepitude & More. For Young and Old Alike.

This Is How by Augusten Burroughs

Aug 07, 12

bookshelves: non-fiction, humor
Recommended to Shane by: Kira Yeversky
Recommended for: People who want blunt advice.
Read from August 02 to 05, 2012, read count: 1

I have not read many self-help books. Those that I did read were generally unhelpful, as their advice didn't apply to my problems. This book is different. Augusten Burroughs gives blunt and pragmatic advice on a wide variety of difficult topics, interspersed with autobiographical stories, statistics, and humorous observations.

If I have a complaint it is that the advice in "This is How" isn't easy to put into action. For instance, one recommendation for unhappily single peope is to vary their routine; going to new places and doing new things in order to expose themselves to new potential mates. If that sort of bold experimentation was easy for people who want a romantic partner, they probably wouldn't be lonely and single in the first place. Other advice about alcoholism, grief, and depression is sometimes so harsh that it is difficult to read. The author has been hard on himself, and he recommends the same from his readers.

Regardless, I recommend this book to anyone struggling with the problems listed on the cover who'd like some irreverent inspiration.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Is How.