Lisa's Reviews > Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe

Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg

Dec 11, 2008

liked it
Read in November, 2008

I feel bad saying it, but I think this is a case where I liked the movie better than I liked the book! The movie had its heartbreaking moments, but one was still left with quite a bit of humor and a general feeling of the significance of living life to the fullest. The book featured many more characters (and tragedies!) than the movie chose to portray, and the sadness of some of the stories dragged down the more humorous parts of the book. I guess I had expected the movie when I opened the pages... and that is always a dangerous thing! ;-)
24 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe.

03/14 marked as: read

message 1: by Carol (new)

Carol Neman I haven't read the book yet, but I enjoyed the movie tremendously...thanks for the heads-up regarding more sadness and tradgedies. I may still read it anyhow, but at least now I won't feel guilty if I'm inclined to skim.

message 2: by Kim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kim Beaumont I liked the movie better, too.

message 3: by Chantale (new)

Chantale They were clearly gay in the book. The movie totally destroyed the true feelings of these women.

message 4: by Pia (new)

Pia Haase Yes I agree, it is always dangerous to watch the movie first and then read the book and can sometimes destroy a book too. I have not read the book yet but watched the movie and liked it a lot! So I will start reading the book soon and hope I wont regret that I've already watched the movie.

Steph Dp I feel the opposite. I read the book first and found the movie disappointing. The novel left me with all of these beautiful friendships that made me feel all gooey and sentimental. The movie did not live up to my expectations concerning the friendships. However, I loved Kathy Bates's portrayal of Evelyn!

message 6: by Breanna (new) - added it

Breanna Enefer I haven't watched the movie, but I enjoyed the book. I agree with Steph in which the beautiful friendships are really portrayed in the book and are really sentimental. I might watch the movie, and hopefully it isn't too disappointing.