Vanessa's Reviews > Rabid: A Cultural History of the World's Most Diabolical Virus

Rabid by Bill Wasik

Aug 04, 2012

it was ok
Read from August 04 to 05, 2012

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rabid.

message 1: by Vanessa (last edited Aug 05, 2012 08:56PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Vanessa It should have been called "Rabid: A cultural history of vampires, zombies, werewolves and other tangentially related topics because we didn't have enough material to fill a whole book."

While I understand that the focus was on the cultural aspect of rabies, and not the science (where a book like "The Great Influenza" was all about the science and less about how people dealt with it), it felt really padded with the sections about otherworldly beasts. I agree with other comments that the best parts of the book were when Pasteur hit the scene, and the conclusion. I wish more of the book talked about historical cases like it did early on, as that is what I thought the book was set up as, not how "The Night of the Living Dead" was made ad where vampires came from.

It wasn't the worst, but I was surprised that this was featured in Scientific American as a recommended book.