Jason Koivu's Reviews > To Kill a Mockingbird

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

May 02, 2012

bookshelves: fiction, favorites
Read in January, 1986

If the total output of your entire career should include only one thing, make it something special.

Not only was To Kill a Mockingbird Harper Lee's only novel, at one point she nearly destroyed it. That would have been a terrible loss, for - coming from an insular, white-New England upbringing - this book was a game changer for me and my young outlook on life and race relations. Having read it as a youth, it's coming-of-age or loss-of-innocence theme spoke to me while the idea of equal rights for all held by the "liberal" Southern Atticus Finch seemed heroic and opened my eyes to the closeted bigotry around me. I know I'm not alone in my reaction and the effects it had upon me.

Perhaps Lee didn't write another novel, because she took to heart the maxim "write what you know" and this was the one and only novel within her. It seems a shame such a good writer should have produced and be judged by only one book, but at least she made that one book something special.
85 likes · flag

Quotes Jason Liked

Harper Lee
“Until I feared I would lose it, I never loved to read. One does not love breathing.”
Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird

Angela I totally agree with your review :) I really enjoyed reading this book too, it's a classic that you can read and then come back to read again and still learn or realise something new everytime.

Jason Koivu Angela wrote: "I totally agree with your review :) I really enjoyed reading this book too, it's a classic that you can read and then come back to read again and still learn or realise something new everytime."

Agreed! :)

Cassandra This is a wonderful tribute to a truly exceptional book!

Jason Koivu Cassandra wrote: "This is a wonderful tribute to a truly exceptional book!"

Thanks Cassandra! That's very kind of you to say.

message 5: by Jim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim When Cinemark showed the film last fall (as part of their "Classics" series) I had to see it - what an absolutely charming treatment of this classic.

Dare I trot out a pernicious rumor? In the Plimpton-edited Oral Biography of Truman Capote, it is suggested that HE wrote Mockingbird for his childhood friend and compatriot (she accompanied him on his initial foray to Kansas after the Clutter Murders).

I don't believe it - but it shows how catty some in his circle were.

Jason Koivu Jim wrote: "When Cinemark showed the film last fall (as part of their "Classics" series) I had to see it - what an absolutely charming treatment of this classic.

Dare I trot out a pernicious rumor? In the Pl..."

I guess when an author only puts out one book in their lifetime and is good friends with a more prolific writer, a rumor of that nature is possible. It does seem catty and unlikely.

Mikey B. It seems a shame such a good writer should have produced and be judged by only one book, but at least she made that one book something special.

Well said!

Jason Koivu Mikey B. wrote: "It seems a shame such a good writer should have produced and be judged by only one book, but at least she made that one book something special.

Well said!"