Carol's Reviews > Girl in Hyacinth Blue

Girl in Hyacinth Blue by Susan Vreeland

Aug 04, 2012

bookshelves: vermeer
Read from August 04 to 06, 2012

Great read! Vreeland writes several short stories of a lost Vermeer painting and the people whose lives it touched. The stories are told from the present to long ago, back in time. This lost painting is a portrait of a young woman looking out a window, lost in thought, brilliantly clothed in hyacinth blues. The stories contain exquisite visual descriptions of his artwork and the everyday lives of ordinary women. I loved how Vreeland described color and how his paintings contained the "dust of crushed pearls." I also like how a glimpse into each family's lives makes them real and endearing to us.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Girl in Hyacinth Blue.

08/04/2012 page 109

message 1: by Sue (new) - added it

Sue I have this and your review increases my desire to read it. Now to find the opportunity!

Carol I really enjoyed this book. I hope you can find some time (I can relate). Weekdays I usually start reading after dinner and finish after everyone is in bed sleeping. Weekends are impossible!

message 3: by Sue (new) - added it

Sue I haven't that excuse since I'm retired now, but time seems to pass so quickly and I am reading so many books for various GR groups (and loving it).