Jason Koivu's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Oct 08, 12

bookshelves: fantasy
Read in January, 2008

Shit got real!

For me, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban was when the series got interesting. It certainly got darker and more mature. Torture, loss, a foreboding sense of dread and death itself descended upon this happy little world of magic where school exams and difficult professors were the worst things to worry about. It also introduced a reason for Harry to want to live: his godfather, a connection to his parents. Up until then there was little joy in Harry's life. Sure there was the school, but that would end soon enough. Rowling did a smart thing when she introduced Sirius Black, she gave Harry a human bond and something to lose. As readers our attachment grew with his.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Michelle E. Kobus Actually, Sirius was Harry's godfather and James Potter's (Harry's dad) best friend; not Harry's uncle. Peace. :)

Kirstine I think people tend to use Uncle about friends of the family as well, not only people who are truly kin.

And this is a great summary and description of the book. This one is my favourite Potter book :)

Jason Koivu I thought about the uncle issue as I wrote the review. It had been too long since I'd read it (or seen it) to remember the exact relationship. Thank you for clarifying.

Jason Koivu Kirstine wrote: "I think people tend to use Uncle about friends of the family as well, not only people who are truly kin.

Thanks for having my back Kirstine! :) Everyone should have a fierce Dane on their side!

Michelle E. Kobus I wasn't TRYING to sound critical LOL ;~D
and given how close Harry and Sirius were, I can believe that Harry might have called Sirius "Uncle", my family was the exact opposite of that. My brother and I always called aunts and uncles we were closest to by just their first names. Aunts and uncles who, say, might have only been seen on the holidays, were addressed by their formal titles. So though I grasp the concept of calling close friends by family titles, if I were Harry, my love for Sirius would actually keep me from calling him uncle because of the formaility attatched to it. (We still called our parents mom and dad though, there was never an exception to that rule.) Just felt like sharing LOL. :~P

Jason Koivu Michelle Elizabeth wrote: "I wasn't TRYING to sound critical LOL ;~D

I wish you'd told me that sooner, it would've saved a lot of tears....I kid! Of course I knew you weren't being critical, just helpful. And I appreciated it!

Regarding the "uncle/aunt" thing...In my family it stays pretty much by the proper definition except for a few older, "distant" relations who I grew up calling my aunts and uncles. It's sort of like a sign of respect and it would feel weird to call them anything else.

Michelle E. Kobus I get ya, but there are some of my relations, especially my dad's youngest sister, who was only a teen when I was born and she lived with us and played babysitter when my parents were working, so she really felt like every one's sister, rather than an aunt. Then there is the Crazy One, another of my dad's sisters, who we do call aunt in an attempt not to attract any unwanted attention, but then everyone in the family tries real hard not to attract her attention! mwahahahaha :P

Jason Koivu Michelle Elizabeth wrote: "...but then everyone in the family tries real hard not to attract her attention!..."

I've got one of those in my family too!

Mary JL Jason: Doesn't every family have one?

Jason Koivu Mary JL wrote: "Jason: Doesn't every family have one?"

Call me an optimist Mary, but I like to hope that somewhere in this world there's at least one family enjoying a crazy aunt-free existence. :)

Mary JL There is, Jason. They have crazy cousins or crazy uncles, instead. lol.