Dorothy's Reviews > Antiques to Die For

Dec 14, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: cozy-mysteries
Read in December, 2008

"You okay?" is the start of virtually every conversation in this book. Everybody is SO concerned about how everybody else is doing and whether they are going to be "okay." It gets to be very predictable and very annoying after a while.

The other thing that still annoys me about this entry in this series is the same thing that annoyed me about the first two: Josie is constantly tearing up or brushing away tears or struggling to keep from crying. Enough already! We get it! She's had sad things happen in her life.

Other than these two quibbles, I found the book engaging. Josie Prescott is a sympathetic character and the reader learns to care about her. She is such an unrelentingly decent person.

In this story, a friend of Josie's is killed, leaving a 12-year-old sister behind and also a mystery. She apparently possessed a treasure of some great worth - something that an antiques appraiser would appreciate - but it is hidden. She has left behind a code as clue to its whereabouts. This is the mystery that Josie must solve. And that will lead her to a murderer.

This is a "cozy" so you just know its going to end well and it does. Josie will live to appraise another day.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Antiques to Die For.

message 1: by Gary (new)

Gary interesting that these types of things are left in by editors at so called professional-traditional publishing houses...

message 2: by Dorothy (last edited Mar 28, 2012 01:26PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dorothy Isn't it though? If the repetition of such devices struck me full in the face, why wouldn't an editor notice them?