Ginger's Reviews > Vampire Kisses

Vampire Kisses by Ellen Schreiber

Dec 23, 11

bookshelves: guilty-pleasure, young-adult-reads
Recommended to Ginger by: no one
Recommended for: vampire fans
Read in February, 2005, read count: about 1,000,000

When I first read this book, I could not put it down. Ellen Schreiber uses a mixture of humor and darkness to tell the story of a goth girl who falls in love with a vampire. This is a book for all you classic vampire lovers and those who are into morbid comedy.

***

Edit:

Now that I look back on it, it's okay. It's not particularly special, but I still enjoy it.

Quite frankly, I'm sick of paranormal fiction. There are too many books written, especially for young adults, about it and very few are good.

I like Vampire Kisses because it has some elements that work. The characters are pretty likeable. Despite the fact that Raven acts more like a mallgoth than a real goth bothered me, but other than that, she was a decent character. She's fiesty and independent and does not care what others think about her. This is refreshing since every book I read from the perspective of a teenage girl consists of a lead that is ungodly pretentious and wants to be one of the cool kids. Raven is actually likeable. Also, unlike most teenage leads, she does not disregard her family. She mentions how annoying her parents and kid brother - Nerd Boy - can be sometimes but she still loves them.

Our sexy vampire love interest is Alexander, who comes across as a bit of a stereotypical good guy. Frankly, I don't mind. I'm sick of girls that constantly chase after the bad boys all the time even when they treat them like crap. Alexander is nothing but a gentlemen to Raven. He's a little too nice though. Again, maybe I don't mind since we don't get this much in literature anymore. He's also an artist. No, not a "tortured" artist, thank goodness.

Most of the side characters are memorable too. There's Becky, Raven's best friend who is picked on because she's a farm girl. She's very shy and Raven acts as her protector. She's not into dark stuff like Raven is but she still loves her a lot.

I love Raven's family. Her parents are hippies turned yuppies, but they support Raven's interest in the macabre. Her brother, Billy, is nerdy but very cute.

Raven often gets picked on by Trevor, the golden boy who has been her rival since they were kids. In the first book, it is indicated that Trevor has a bit of a crush on Raven, which I actually find to be kind of cute. They both like to make snide remarks about one another. The dialogue during these scenes are actually sort of fun and quirky.

The story itself isn't too bad, but it's not terribly unique. The whole book consists of Raven trying to figure out if Alexander is a vampire (spoiler: in the end, it turns out he is! dun dun DUUUUUUUUUN!).

Despite the four star rating, I give this book 3.5 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vampire Kisses.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Savannah This was a great reveille thnkxx:)