Lady Lioness's Reviews > Kept

Kept by Shawntelle Madison

Sep 14, 12

bookshelves: genre-urban-fantasy, subgenre-werewolves, read-august-2012
Read on August 04, 2012, read count: 1

At the RWA literacy signing, Madison said that Kept is the last book she's contracted for in this series so sales of Kept will determine if we get another book set in this world. If you liked Coveted, you will like Kept.

I would still classify Kept as urban fantasy, but Madison gives her characters a happy ending, although I do think the story would have been better served over three books rather than two. I feel pretty satisfied with where Madison left Natalya and her hero, but I would love to see more books featuring some of the supporting characters, especially Holly. Madison alludes to some stuff going down with the phobic mermaid, but the book ends prior to any resolution.

I preferred Kept over Coveted because Natalya was infinitely more bad-ass. She wasn't 'fixed,' she still suffered from OCD, but she basically said 'F-it, nothing's going to stop me from helping my family.' I admire that kind of strength. Madison also had an unusual take on the mythological races we've seen before. For example, Madison's Fae were scary, the type of scary found in the TV show Supernatural or Patricia Briggs's Mercy Thompson series. There aren't a lot of romances/urbans out there about merfolk and, via Holly, Madison described the culture in terms that made me really curious, but also a little wary. There will be no Ariel and Flounder in Madison's oceans.

I do hope we end up seeing more books by Madison. Coveted and Kept are solid reads, and I feel Madison has the potential for a break-out book in the future.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kept.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lexie (new)

Lexie So who does she choose? Nick or Thorn?