Secretly Reading's Reviews > Dust of My Wings

Aug 04, 2012

bookshelves: favorites, paranormal, 2012-reads
Read from August 04 to 05, 2012

Originally reviewed for The Book Vixen

I love the characters and romance. Lily and Shade are both stellar leads. Lily’s OCD but warm personality was unique and compelling. And Shade, whow-wee, he is one fine romance hero! He’s strong, powerful, gentle, and oh so loving to Lily.

I adore that both share their emotional vulnerability with each other. In my opinion, this is the foundation for strong romance and this novel built a sexual relationship on the couple’s emotional connection beautifully. I also like that Lily and Shade’s romance is certainly spicy but they spend lots of time outside the bedroom too as they get to know one another and share their lives. I like sexy time as much as the next reader, but I’m getting bored with paranormal romance that’s little more than sexual episodes loosely connected by a paranormal thread. I can honestly say that’s not the case here. This is a real romance story with sexual intimacy but plenty of plot and world building too.

In addition to loving the leads and romance, I love the celebration of friendship contained in this short novel. Shade’s best friend Ambrose and he have a wonderful friendship and shared history. But Lily’s group of friends stole the book. This group of women are all distinct but have built a family where they love and support each other through everything. I love reading stories with strong female friendships and Lily’s friends are perfect examples of that. I suspect these women will all be heroines in subsequent books in the series and that will rock.

I also adore the world building here. It is deftly crafted without the info dump that can bog down paranormal romance sometimes. It helps that Lily is like readers, clueless about supernaturals and that Shade becomes her (smoking hot!) guide. If someone ever needs to introduce me to dragons, weres, angels, brownies, and fairy-folk, PLEASE let it be a stud in tight jeans and leather jacket!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dust of My Wings.