Hans's Reviews > The Glass Castle

The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls

Sep 25, 2010

bookshelves: biographies, adventure-survival
Read from September 17 to 25, 2010

Great Memoir. I agree that the only short-coming of this book is the lack of personal emotion on the part of the narrator. Maybe she did that intentionally as a form of implied feelings that the reader fills-in-the-blank. Overall a fantastic fast paced read from one outlandish adventure to the next. I think some people might feel tempted to pity the author and her childhood and I believe that would be a mistake. An individual's narrative possesses its own sweetness when they are able to decide for themselves how to interpret their own past. If anything the author has lived and experienced a full and vigorous life though at the expense of typical childhood comforts.

In the end, the children proved to be the grown-ups who understood personal responsibility better than their parents. The children ended up almost "raising" their parents. If the responsibility doesn't crush someone's spirit it can have an empowering effect. Rising from the depths of emotional and financial poverty to a life rich.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Glass Castle.