Kristin's Reviews > The Witch of Cologne

The Witch of Cologne by Tobsha Learner

Aug 04, 12

Read in August, 2012

I really enjoyed the first 400 pages of this book, and then was quite disappointed with the last 50 pages. I just didn't like the end of the book, which was really sad --to spend so much time enjoying a story and characters and then not like the end. I would have given the book 4 stars, but dropped down to 3 stars because of the end of the book.

The book has a great story, great characters, and a fascinating time period. You have the love story of 2 unlikely people, Ruth and Detlef. Ruth is a strong female character, a Jewish midwife, educated and crossing religious boundaries. Detlef is a canon, unhappy with his privileged upbringing and the politics inside the Catholic church, wanting more out of life. The book does a GREAT job detailing 17th Century Northern Europe (i.e Germania and the Netherlands), about 20 years after the Thirty Years' War, getting into the philosophers and their ideas of the Age of Enlightenment. The book is a really well-researched historical fiction.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Witch of Cologne.