David's Reviews > Angela's Ashes

Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt

Nov 22, 08

Read in June, 2008, read count: 2

I read this Pulitzer Prize winner some years ago, and when I found the audiobook in the library read by the author, decided to listen again. The audiobook was superb. The author's Irish accent and his singing of the included songs really brings this book to life. The author grew up in the Catholic slums of Limerick, Ireland. He recounts his miserable childhood with openness and clarity, and an astonishing lack of resentment and bitterness. His father was an alcoholic who immediately drank away any money he was able to earn from occasional work or from government doles, leaving the mother, Angela, to find ways to feed and raise the children. But the father does manage to instill a love for Ireland and for storytelling in his young son. The story is at times bleak and shocking, which makes the persistence and sometimes inventiveness of young Frank all the more impressive. I loved this story, and would have given it a "1" if not for the too extensive exploration of his sexual maturing, which seemed to almost dominate the later parts of the book.
7 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angela's Ashes.