Dirk Grobbelaar's Reviews > Kicking Techniques for Competition and Self-Defense

Kicking Techniques for Competition and Self-Defense by Roy Kurban

Aug 04, 2012

liked it

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kicking Techniques for Competition and Self-Defense.

message 1: by Valerie (new)

Valerie This looks like it may actually be a manual.

I'd be cautious about any such manuals. My father was one of the people who investigated the techniques people use to do such things. He always said that from a physical point of view, there's no reason why an average person shouldn't be able to punch a hole in a brick wall. Except that the backshock would jellify the hand, breaking all the bones, and ruining the hand for most future uses.

He and others concluded that the techniques involved were reminiscent of the main function of armor, which is to redistribute force over a wider area. Thus a person wearing (say) chain mail is not at much risk from a jabbing or cutting weapon at slow enough speeds (less than a fast arrow from a strong bow). But the bruises, abrasions, etc would still often inflict enough damage to be fatal with time, especially if the wounds 'took bad ways', as in blood poisoning.

Further, they found that while large-scale bone breaks were often prevented, there were still microfractures to bones, especially in areas to which the force was redistributed. These microfractures, if repeated, often led to what was analogous to metal fatigue, because the capacity for regeneration was exceeded with repeated stress.

In sum, he recommended caution in using such techniques. Occasional efforts in such fields wouldn't be too bad, but excess should always be avoided. Good advice in many fields, I suppose.

message 2: by Dirk (last edited Aug 08, 2012 01:50AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dirk Grobbelaar Many years ago I did some martial arts, notably Shotokan Karate. This was one of the books I used to complement my training. It's predominantly based on Tae Kwon Do, if I remember correctly, but it had some good tips on flexibility and technique. Obviously not something to be attempted in isolation, because you can hurt yourself, but it's fine if you're already on a Martial Arts training schedule which incorporates flexibility and kicking training.

message 3: by Valerie (new)

Valerie There are limits, even so. I think of sumo wrestlers, for example, who can do splits...but only by tearing tendons in their legs.