Barb's Reviews > Mistress of My Fate; The Confessions of Henrietta Lightfoot

Mistress of My Fate; The Confessions of Henrietta Lightfoot by Hallie Rubenhold

Dec 27, 12

bookshelves: favs-of-2012, hf-1700s, own-it, read-in-2012, women
Read in December, 2012

The month of December has been crazier than most for me. A project that I've been working on for three years will end on the 31st and I have logged in many more hours than I typically do preparing for the deadline. At the same time my husband and I are having an addition put on our house and I have been distracted by all of the choices and decisions that go into figuring out what we want and how we want it in our new space. Sometimes when there's a lot going on like this I have a difficult time focusing on what I'm reading. Not so in this case, Mistress of My Fate completely sucked me in and held my attention until the very last page.

I loved this story and the heroine Henrietta Ingerton, aka Henrietta Lightfoot. I know there are many readers who dislike narration in the first person but I have always liked it and this story is no exception. Henrietta speaks to the reader confessing her fall from grace and describing how she was forced to make the choices she did. She recounts her tale from the present day of 1835, when she is sixty-three years old, and takes us back to her youth growing up in her uncle Lord Ingerton's home of Melmouth with her cousin Lady Catherine. She also refers to her cousin Lord Dennington and cautions us not to believe the stories he has told, stating they have been circulated in an attempt to discredit her. Which makes you question her reliability as a narrator.

The initial event that triggers all the others that come to change Henrietta's circumstances could be viewed in more than one way. As I was reading I wasn't sure what the truth of the matter was or if I liked this narrator or not. Either way the story was compelling and pulled me in, I wanted to know more about this young girl and how she managed the choices she had, none of them seemed to be good ones.

I enjoyed the setting and the period details, as well as the complicated path Henrietta was force to navigate. This is more of a romantic story than I typically read but I really enjoyed that thread and the tension it created throughout the novel. I'm looking forward to reading the next two books in this trilogy. I think fans of Historical Fiction will enjoy this as will fans of Historical Romance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mistress of My Fate; The Confessions of Henrietta Lightfoot.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura I'm looking forward for your review on this one Barb. It must be good since you gave 5 stars.

Barb Laura,
It really sucked me in and kept me turning the pages.
I hate that I have to wait for the next installment.
I'm going to have to look for Hallie Rubenhold's other books now.

message 3: by Carol (new) - added it

Carol This sounds excellent!