Liz's Reviews > Foretold

Foretold by Jana Oliver

Jun 04, 14

bookshelves: terrible-covers

4.5/5

Foretold was an excellent conclusion to The Demon Trappers series. You know how the last book in a series can sometimes be disappointing and you feel like it ended badly and didn’t answer half the questions? That is not the case here. I loved the way things wrapped up and I’m actually a little sad that the series is over.

Things between Beck and Riley started off a little awkward in this book and Riley was trying to get to the bottom of the problem and find out what it was that Beck was hiding. She went with Beck to visit his mother before she died and a lot of things happened when they got to his hometown. Everyone there seemed to hate Beck and he wouldn’t explain why, and his mother was so awful to them both. However, Riley, being Riley, wasn’t scared off by any of these things. Once she learnt more about Beck’s life when he was young, she was determined to help him no matter the cost. She knew things might get ugly but that’s what I’ve always liked about Riley – she’d do what she thought was right and face the danger that came with it. She wasn’t the type to give up easily, and I think that’s a great quality to have. And when they returned to Atlanta, and she didn’t just sit down and relax – she was thrown into more dangerous situations and she handled them all so well. She was pushed to her limit in this book, and was learning to fight things even more frightening than the demons she trapped. And even with all this crazy supernatural stuff happening involving the Fallen and Hell and demons, Riley still managed to stay a relatable character. I’ve said in all my reviews for all the books in this series that though Riley was a demon-trapper, she was still a believable teen, and it was no different in Foretold. She reacted how I think most people would react in certain situations and she was sometimes hot-headed or secretive, and it made her character seem more real to me.

Beck, I felt so sorry for in this book. We learnt a lot about his past and it was just...so upsetting. I don’t want to spoil anything, but the boy really had it hard. And of course some things he did were his own fault and shouldn’t be excused but it’s hard to blame him for going down that route when his home life was what it was. His mother...I don’t even have words. She was one of the most confusing characters, and I found it difficult to understand what she must really be thinking and feeling. But it wasn’t all bad for him in this book, and we finally got to see the Riley/Beck relationship (which I’ve been shipping since book ONE, may I say) progress and it was so great to read about. They just fit so well together, balanced each other out, annoyed each other but also made each other smile. Taylor Swift songs made an appearance once again and even Riley found herself humming along to them. You could see how much they cared for each other – and it was strange to see it from Beck’s point of view, because of course in the previous three books we were never entirely sure how exactly he felt about Riley. It was clear he liked her, but in Foretold we got to see more of his thoughts and deeper feelings and I liked seeing Riley from his perspective. He supported her when she needed him too and vice versa – I liked that their relationship wasn’t one-sided and they both sort of relied on each other for things occasionally.

Ori. Ori, Ori, Ori. I knew he wasn’t such a terrible guy. Obviously what he did and the way he lied to Riley was so wrong, but it seems he did care about some things after all. I sort of guessed at the end of book three that he actually wanted Riley to live, but this book made me understand him a bit more and why he wanted to keep her alive. His story was a sad one and I did feel sorry for him and could sort of understand how he felt. My favourite line of the whole book (spoiler: only click if you’ve read the book: (view spoiler)) is also attributed to Ori – it was very pretty, sounded almost like poetry to me. Made me realise just how old he was and how much he’d seen over the many years he’d existed.

While I did really enjoy this book, I must admit I really missed some of the secondary characters, like Mort, Peter, and Ayden! They did show up a few times, but their roles were really minor, and I missed Peter especially, because he was so awesome in book three but then only appeared here and there in this book. However, the plot was pretty damn awesome. Lots of things going on, mysteries within in mysteries and Lucifer even made an appearance a few times, seemingly having had some kind of plan all along. There were a few twists along the way that I didn’t see coming, and I really liked the way everyone teamed up at the end to fight (I loved that the actress from the demon trapper TV show wanted to help out – seems she really had a taste for demon trapping after all!). I also really liked the way things ended – all the main things were wrapped up, with a few loose ends that made me think that there could perhaps be another book, maybe in the future (I wouldn’t say no, I’d love more Riley and Beck!). Though I must say that I think Riley was a bit young for what was going to happen at the end, but oh well. Guess when you’re a demon trapper, life must seem shorter than it already does.

Overall, Foretold was a brilliant end to a fantastic series and I recommend the series to anyone who likes strong heroines, demons and lots of action with some romance too. Definitely a must read if you liked the first three books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Foretold.